Wednesday, May 2, 2012

We will NEVER forget. RIP Dad!

While Brogan was home last week, we took time to remember his Dad on the 3 year anniversary of his death. It was such an emotional day for the whole Gransbury family, but especially Brogan. I see him get emotional all the time on regular days, but on the actual anniversary of his Dad's death hits him 10x harder. The love Brogan has for his Father is something I wish I had. Me and my Dad don't get along and never really have. We view things different and our personalities clash because we are so much alike. I am to blame for alot of things, but so is he and I just don't think that will ever change. It breaks my heart to think my Dad lives 5 minutes away and we don't speak, yet Brogan would give ANYTHING to have one more conversation with his. I wish me and my Dad were on better terms because that would also give Brogan the opportunity to have a "Father-in-law". Oh well. No one but me and my Dad really know what's happened between us, and if you think you do, just know you don't. Trust me. End of story.
I never got the opportunity to meet Brogan's Dad, but I feel like I have because I feel his presence almost daily. I know he watches over me and Saije always and of course Channing and Brogan while they are away from us. Ronnie led a troubled life, which ultimately led to Brogan and his younger sister being raised by his parents, Brogan's grandparents, yet Brogan has the utmost love and respect for him and has never blamed his Dad for anything. When Ronnie had his work accident that triggered the onset of his progressive MS, Brogan changed his whole life on a dime to care for his Dad and do whatever it took to keep him going. From start to finish, Ronnie battled MS for 9 years, 7 of which were spent in an assisted living home where he eventually lost his battle in 2009. At such a young age, barely entering high school, Brogan bathed him, fed him, took him to the restroom, cleaned up his accidents, picked him off the floor after he had fallen, cooked, cleaned, raised his younger sister, paid the bills, etc.  Not many 15-18 year old can say they were their parents primary caretaker all the while staying in school to later graduate and holding a full time job. To be honest, most kids would have dropped out of school or been so bitter about the situation and developed a bad attitude about everything. Brogan didn't. Brogan doesn't regret any of it either. It was hard. The hardest thing he's EVER had to do. He says that if he had to go back and do it all over again, though, he would in a heartbeat. He just wishes he could have done more to keep him alive longer. He misses his Dad each and every day. I only hope my children love me even half as much as Brogan loves his Dad. Ok...getting teary now....
Incredible right? If this isn't a tear jerker I don't know what is! We kept telling Channing that was Papa and to go ahead and talk to Papa and give him loves. This is what he did. He got down on his hands and knees and kept kissing Ronnie's headstone over and over again. It brought Brogan to tears and I was shortly to follow. Staci and Brogan got pregnant with Channing a month after Ronnie passed away so Channing never got to meet his grandpa nor did Ronnie get to meet his first grandchild :( I truly believe Ronnie played with Channing up in Heaven for those 10 months until he was born into this world tho! 
After putting flowers and a few pinwheels around Ronnie's grave, we let both kids just play around on it. Brogan thought his Dad would love that.
Saije obviously never got to meet Ronnie either. Outside of Heaven that is :)
Papa Ronnie would be so proud of you Channing! Papa looks over you each and every day. Just know you will always have a guardian angel with you at all times and if you ever need him, he is always near. Live your life to make him proud, Channing. He loves you just like me and your Daddy love you. Carrying on the Gransbury name will be the most noble and honorable thing you may ever do in your lifetime. Make Papa Ronnie proud. We love you Channing!

No comments:

Post a Comment